[CS-FSLUG] MICROSOFT RESEARCHER, WIKI CREATOR JOINS ECLIPSE

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Thu Oct 20 01:34:03 CDT 2005

David Aikema wrote:
> On 10/19/05, dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>>Microsoft researcher Ward Cunningham is joining the Eclipse Foundation
>>>Cunningham's role at the nonprofit foundation
>>>will be to help improve collaborative and cooperative efforts between
>>>members of the Eclipse open-source community.
>>
>>"Hi, I'm here from Micro$oft and I'm here to help
>>out with an open-source project ..."
>>
>>Uh huh.  That's like Hilary Clinton offering to
>>improve free market healthcare, Bill Clinton offering
>>to help improve the moral environment of youth, or
>>Michaela Moore offering to make a fact-based documentary.
>>
>>If someone is being paid by Micro$oft to participate
>>in anything it is to figure out how M$ can appropriate
>>it and lock it into a proprietary profit-making product
>>or kill it before it is born.
>

> Hold on a bit there...
>
> (a) Apparently he'll no longer be under the pay of Microsoft so it's
> hard to argue that it's Microsoft trying to pull strings behind the
> scenes
> (b) He's apparently the guy who came up with the whole Wiki idea -
> sounds like he has a reasonable track record behind him in the area of
> open source
>
> - More info on this at
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1872348,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>
> David

Another 'defector' from the 'Evil Empire' is Sam Adkins, who recently wrote
about Moodle and other libre LMSes.  Apparently, he's the guy Behind
Microsoft's own on-line education program (first of its kind, or something
like that).  Anyway, it will have a huge impact, since the proprietary LMS
vendors sure didn't want systems like Moodle moving in on their turf.

http://www.learningcircuits.org/2005/oct2005/adkins.htm

If this link doesn't work, let me know.  I'll try to hunt down the permanent
link.  dmc's remarks appear more appropriate for the other post about
Microsoft's Mozilla-based licenses. ;-)  It doesn't matter to me.  If
Microsoft released Windows under a libre license that meets the FSF's
definition, I would still wait for the Debian project to release a stable
version.  I wonder how far behind 'Windows unstable' that would be? :-p

Don