[CS-FSLUG] Distro Convergence

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Oct 15 15:43:19 CDT 2005

I've seen often enough calls for some sort of standardization. In the
best laid plans of mice and men, it has failed (LSB anyone?)... or has
it? According to this editor, it has finally happened, sort of:

> [A]ll of this talk about Linux needing consolidation is really, from
> a pragmatic point of view, not necessary. Linux is Linux is Linux,
> ultimately. Yes, there are differences between distros, but these
> differences are getting narrower and narrower with each new release.
> If I am a company who wants to move to Linux, it would be very easy
> to pick one (Dell? Are you reading this?) and just go with it. If
> another distribution does get a new toy, it won't be long before
> someone pulls it over to the distribution you chose.

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2005101401026OPDT

I am inclined to agree from my own point of view as an advocate of Linux
on the Desktop for the Clueless (as well as FreeBSD). What many set out
to do by design has happened by accident. Naturally there will be more
significant differences as the hardware used for testing gets older and
slower, but that is fading, as well.

Thoughts?

--
Ed Hurst