[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

David M. dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 04:58:31 CDT 2005

On Saturday October 15 2005 7:22 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> Hi everyone, I decided to test out SUSE's supposedly restored ability to
> play mp3's just to be disappointed. SUSE has for the last few release has
> been a joke for multimedia support, version 10.0 isn't very different in
> this case either. Two programs on the whole system can actually play mp3's,
> one is RealPlayer (yuck!) and the other is amaroK using the helix (ie:
> RealPlayer again) backend.

I am using Fedora Core 4 with the XMMS MP3 package which works just fine with
AmaroK (the multimedia app that rocks!) and I've not had any problems.

> Why is it that no distribution
> to date (aside from TurbuLinux which I don't like) is actually attempting
> to include good multimedia support out of the box?

It is out of the box. it's been repeated 1000 times that if you buy the box
set you get the multimedia support. Downloading a distro is not "out of the
box"

> I know I'm going to be told that I can add the multimedia support in very
> easily, but that hasn't been my experience with SUSE; I have managed it
> with Mandrake thanks to the PLF rpms, but every time I've tried it with
> SUSE it greatly reduced the stability of several applications. I'm willing
> to try installing better multimedia support, in fact I've already
> downloaded the packman.links2linux.org <http://packman.links2linux.org>
> xine RPMs and plan on installing them later,

In my experience, Xine sucks, and Kaffeine with the Xine plugins works so much
better.

> but I'm going to want to have
> mp3 support restored to all of KDE, not just amaroK.

Well like I said get the XMMS MP3 support package and mp3 will work with
everything. (in my experience on Mandriva and Fedora)

> I'm also hoping to get
> better support for video formats too, if someone wants to volunteer
> information that would make this easier I'm all ears.

I got all my video codecs from here, the only thing I can't get to work is
things that require Windows media player 9 and I use these codecs with
Kaffeine.

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html
--
David M.