[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 15 07:58:38 CDT 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 3:22 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> Hi everyone, I decided to test out SUSE's supposedly restored ability to
> play mp3's just to be disappointed. SUSE has for the last few release has
> been a joke for multimedia support, version 10.0 isn't very different in
> this case either. Two programs on the whole system can actually play mp3's,
> one is RealPlayer (yuck!) and the other is amaroK using the helix (ie:
> RealPlayer again) backend. I like KDE a lot more than Windows, and was
> pleased when things seemed to be going well with SUSE which does look like
> a much more professional distribution, but when multimedia support is
> anything but present and the only multimedia player to be able to play
> mp3's has a 3-5 second lag time changing the volume I really can't justify
> using it and wouldn't buy a boxed set if it costed $1 and was the only OS
> on earth.

Nathan, I've gone over this before but I'll do it again. If you are using the
opensuse release, you CAN'T do much with multimedia - period! Those who have
bought the release do have mp3 support. DRM has most users "tied up" with the
legalities of what software can and can be included in a distro., and what
libs. can ship with. Novell/SUSE ISN'T going to get sued because of DRM!!
When you pay for SUSE 10.0, you ARE paying for the right to play mp3s.

Fred

--
Paid purchaser of ALL SuSE Linux releases since 7.x