[CS-FSLUG] Monitor Question

David M. dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 02:59:59 CDT 2005

On Saturday October 15 2005 4:49 am, Christopher Rose wrote:
> Ok, I don't do too many duel list postings, but I feel a need to in order
> to hopefully get a question answered. Here is my problem and question.
>
> I am using a KDS-VS51 monitor on my Fedora Core 2 system. I want to switch
> to my old monitor that I used when I first began toying with Linux (Red Hat
> 6). That monitor is a Packard Bell 2024S. My question is: How do I set up
> my computer for this other monitor? Is there a way to rewrite the X
> configuration files using the CLI? Or can I simply change my monitor
> settings as root using the "Display" configuration tool such that while
> using the KDS I tell the computer that my monitor is the Packard Bell, then
> shut the computer down and switch monitors? I want to change to this
> smaller monitor as it had better color quality and speakers on the side
> that are powered by an external power supply. I would like to use this
> monitor again rather than this KDS unit. Please, help.

Christopher, If it were me, I would hook the monitor up first, then make the
necessary adjustments. This way you give fedora a chance to automatically
detect your new hardware on startup and if it don't, the "Display" config
tool gives you the option to change your X settings, see if they work and
either apply or cancel the settings and try again with a different setting.

--
David M.