[CS-FSLUG] NI: Libre vs. Proprietary Software

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:09:47 CDT 2005

I found this interesting article:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=420290&rl=1

I took issue with this bit:
"Does Linus or any other developer contributing to the Linux kernel
directly benefit from his labors? No. The companies selling support
for his operating system are benefiting. For that matter, any
commercial firm that uses the Linux operating system to run business
systems is also benefiting."

I think the guy is confusing the issue a bit.  If I understand, Linus
does get paid to develop the Linux kernel, no?  If so, then he does
benefit directly.  He does not benefit indirectly - that is, from the
other companies who make money from it.  Still, he does benefit
directly.  If I make and sell you a shovel, and you make money from
it, am I required to also benefit in order to be considered as
benefitting "directly" from my labors?

I'm still mulling over the rest.  There are a few other points of
conflict, but I need to mull over the bit near the end about
comoditizing software.  What do y'all think?

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/