[CS-FSLUG] Net-bios/file-sharing "attack"

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 00:54:54 CDT 2005

On 10/11/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:

> dmc wrote:
> >>DSL is mucho fast, but all is not paradise. My wife's XP box is pinging
> >>away on my firewall at ports 136-138. It's not a threat, but it piles up
> >>fat logs. Anyone know how we can tell her XP box to quit?

Fat is the Windows way ;-) j/k

Use a firewall to block the ports it tries to ping maybe? Who knows why it's
doing that, mine doesn't seem to. Could it be that there is some unwelcome
software on her computer trying to communicate secretly with the outside
world?

When MS starts forcing vista on users, then maybe more of them will finally
get fed up enough to switch instead of lowering their standards and emptying
their wallets for upgrades.

I look forward to when Linux supports my laptop, although I still have
hardware that's Windows only and because of school work I have to be able to
run MS Office, plus my favorite games don't run in Linux even with cadega
:'( .