[CS-FSLUG] I'm Baaaack!

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Oct 12 08:57:37 CDT 2005

Jukka wrote:

>>DSL kicked in today and I am officially back on line.
>
> Are you downloading your favourite distro already ? :)

Actually, I had settled on FreeBSD more firmly than ever just before
moving to our second residence here in OKC. During that first week at my
brother's home (has cable Net), I experimented with various distros and
two versions of FreeBSD. SUSE 9.3 worked well enough, but was just *too*
fat on that old laptop. Other distros displeased me for a number of
reasons, mostly failing to properly detect hardware, especially the
wireless modem my brother gave me (used Dell with Prism chipset).

FreeBSD 6.0-beta was just not ready, but 5.4 worked rather well on the
second try. I was already running that on my desktop, and still do so
now. The advantage of DSL is for fetching distros for use by possible
clients in my computer ministry. I'm pretty much out of the testing game
until I get a spare machine -- not to mention spare space to play with
it. My computer table is just a couple of feet from the bed in the
cramped space we occupy.

--
Ed Hurst