[CS-FSLUG] NI: "The Skunk Approach"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 5 09:36:16 CDT 2005

A WORD WITH YOU
By Ron Hutchcraft
#4888 - "The Skunk Approach"
1 Thessalonians 4:3-4

Listen to the audio broadcast!
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?p=pnm&f=/rhm/sounds/awwy/awwy4888.rm

        I had the cutest little guy join me on my hike. I was out in the
country exploring the trail that wound along the creek. First I just saw this
little flash of black and white fur toddling along through the grass, not far
from me. He was heading in the same direction I was. I told you he was cute;
he was all black except for a nice white stripe all the way down his back, a
big bushy tail, a cute little almost kitten-like face. I had been joined by a
skunk! Two problems: one little spray and nobody would get near me for the
next week. Secondly, it was daytime and skunks are nocturnal animals. If
they're out in the daytime it can mean they have rabies! So, what did I do?
Go pet him because he was so cute? No! Try to scare him off? I'm not
suicidal! I did the only thing a guy with any brains would do, I walked
quickly in the other direction and I didn't have to bury my clothes!

        I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With Youtoday about "The
Skunk Approach."

        Our word for today from the Word of God comes from 1 Thessalonians
4:3-4. It's practical advice from the inventor of sex on how to keep from
spoiling his invention. It starts out by saying, "It is God's will that you
should be sanctified." That word doesn't mean you're wearing a halo or a
white robe. It literally talks about being kept for special purposes. He says
it is God's will that, "you should avoid sexual immorality." That means any
sexual relationship outside the boundaries of your marriage to your lifetime
partner. And then he says His will is that each of you should, "control his
own body." Control your passions; don't let your passions control you. This
unique, powerful love gift is just too special to ruin. So God, the inventor,
sums up His strategy for staying pure. You might think of it as the skunk
approach. You see, I knew there was one way to keep from getting the skunks
worst - don't play with him even if he looks like a cute little kitty! And
don't try to
 r!
esist him, you'll lose. Avoid him!

        That's how God says we can protect the beauty of "no regrets sex."
Avoid immorality. That's His word, don't get anywhere near the opportunity or
the urge to do it outside of marriage. In practical terms this means avoiding
four mistakes that can take you farther than you ever intended to go.

        1. Avoid extended time alone: If you have feelings for someone and
you're with them for very long time in a situation where you could get very
physical, chances are you will.

        2. Avoid exceeding the speed limit: In other words, don't get near the
point where your body and mind are preparing themselves for sexual
intercourse.

        3. Avoid feeding your fantasies: By watching or listening to things
that will just fuel your lust and make it harder to control.

        4. Avoid squandering the innocent expressions of affection: Don't give
away for nothing things like holding hands, a simple hug, a simple kiss. You
need to guard those.

        That skunk almost seemed to have a sign on him that said "I'm cuddly,
come play with me!" I would have never been the same. Don't let sex too soon,
or adulterous sex lure you to get so close to something that it will cost you
more than you ever intended to pay, and take you where you never intended to
go.

        Don't pet it. Don't even fight it. Do what God, the inventor of sex
says - avoid it.

Discuss today's "A Word With You," post your comments, or encourage others in
our discussion forum!
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/rhm/awwy

How can I help support the work of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries?
http://rhm.gospelcom.net/support/

To find out how you can begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
please visit YOURS FOR LIFE: HOW TO HAVE LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
at:
http://www.yoursforlife.net
Or, call 1-888-NEED HIM.

"A Word With You" by Ron Hutchcraft is a daily radio challenge, with
slice-of-life illustrations and insights - providing practical help on the
issues that matter most. If your local Christian radio station does not air
"A Word With You," please let them know how much you value this program. Over
six years of transcripts are available online, at
http://rhm.gospelcom.net/awwy/

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries is a member of the Gospel Communications Network -
http://www.gospelcom.net

"A Word With You" is a production of:

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.
http://rhm.gospelcom.net/
Email: RHM at hutchcraft.com
Phone: 1-877-741-1200

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via
email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it
will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce
"A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet
websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Reprinted with permission. "A Word With
You" is a radio outreach of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.

to you, at this time.