[CS-FSLUG] NI: Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 5 04:47:59 CDT 2005

>> I was referring to recent history -- where I know from first-hand
>> accounts that the Orthodox church is trying to abuse its official
>> position to suppress evangelical activities under the guise of
>> preventing heretical cults.
>
> I'd want to read evidence of that, sorry.

It was in the general media and reported by multiple evagelical
Christian missions organizations.  There was no secret made of
it.

I do not know how it turned out as I believe several elected
officials from the USA contacted government officials to
complain and there were some high-level conversations between
denominations.

>> It is, in fact, rare in the history of Christendom that
>> anything other than individual Christians acting out of
>> true faith-driven relationships with Christ that have been
>> terribly worthy of celebration.
>
> That is your perspective.

It was the Apostle Paul's greatest point of conflict,
even in the early church.  It what Jesus also spoke
most strongly about -- abuse of power by religious
leaders -- "Whitewashed tombs", "Sins of perdition",
"Vipers".

My experience is across multiple denominations, including
attending a Roman Catholic high school and having family
in the RCC, friends in the Greek Orthodox and Lebanese
Melkite (sp?) church, and etc.

I do not speak from an absence of first-hand observation
nor from the absence of reading church history, nor from
the absence of other information, not the least of which
is the chronic cyclical problems in the RCC as they isolate
from accountability and things like selling indulgences
or coddling serial homosexual child abusers happen over
and over -- the cycle is there because of an institutional
flaw that they refuse to address.

"There is nothing new under the sun."  God

--
Respectfully,

David Colburn, D.Min., M.A.Co.

Freelance Journalist/Writer,