[CS-FSLUG] Christian ethics regarding reverse engineering of non-free software

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Wed Oct 5 02:25:02 CDT 2005

Michael,

I have never heard of anything like unto what you are asking. This does not mean that such does not exist, just that I am aware of it. Truthfully, I do not think it would be wise to reverse engineer something in a screen by screen fashion so that it looks and act exactly like the proprietary item. Rather, I would argue that you should just try to create something that acts in a similiar manner but give it a somewhat different design so that you can not be accused of theft. That is what I feel that reverse-engineering software is when you do not have proper permission to do so. I am still waiting for word from Delphi for an application (a game) that I would like to reverse engineer for Linux. However, I feel I need to ask for permission due to the fact that it would be almost pointless to not make it as similiar as possible to the original. If I am not granted permission, then I will simply scrub the project. For me it is that simply. For as it is written in Exodus 20:15 "Thou shalt not steal."

Pax,
Christopher L. Rose