[CS-FSLUG] NI (TD): Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Oct 5 00:12:03 CDT 2005

Whoops, accidentally sent to soon.

     Anyway, the Americanists eventually prevailed, if you look at
the inclusivist Vatican II doctrine as compared to the exclusivist
Vatican I views. Moreover, both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict
XVI have been on the record as interested in working with Protestants.

     The big issue, I think, is probably the legitimacy of our
communion serving, ordination, etc., since most Protestants (save our
friends in the Anglican Communion) cannot claim authority via
apostolic succession. On the other hand, the Catholic church cannot
deny the validity of the apostolic succession of the Anglicans, Old
Catholics, Orthodox, etc.

     I guess the best way to reach unity would be for the Protestant
groups interested to go to one of those groups and ask them to re-
ordain our leaders. That would all but eliminate that stumbling block.

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis