[CS-FSLUG] NI (TD): Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Oct 5 00:06:22 CDT 2005

> Tim, you must realize that there never can be a reuniting of the
> western/protestant churches and the RCC as, according to the RCC,
> there
> is no salvation outside of the RCC:
> http://www.ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/EXTRAECC.TXT
> http://www.catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3517/nosalv.htm
> (just a few examples)

     Ah, yes, good 'ol extra ecclesiam nulla salus.

> The only way that there can be a reconciliation is that we all
> submit to
> the authority of the Pope and the RCC.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong........

     Well, clearly, submitting it the Pope is not a requirement,
given recent Catholic agreements with the Anglicans and Orthodox. For
example, the Anglican Communion and the Catholic church agreed on the
substance of the Mass a few years back. IIRC, it is now permissible
for a Catholic to participate in an Anglican service. Likewise I
believe with the Eastern Orthodox, unless I am mistaken.

     The post Vatican II view of salvation is decidedly less strict
than extra eccesiam nulla salus, if the church is defined as the
Roman Catholic Church. Even earlier, then Americanization movement
lead by the triumvirate Gibbons, Ireland and Keane.

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis