[CS-FSLUG] NI: Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 4 09:44:33 CDT 2005

Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

WARSAW, Poland (CNS) -- A Russian Orthodox bishop has appealed for the
formation of a Catholic-Orthodox alliance to negotiate with European
institutions and members of other faiths on behalf of "traditional
Christianity." "Europe has so rapidly de-Christianized that urgent action is
needed to save it from losing its centuries-old Christian identity," said
Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev of Vienna and Austria, the Russian church's
representative to the European Union. "I strongly believe the time has come
for Catholics and Orthodox to unite their efforts," the bishop said at an
ecumenical congress in Gniezno, Poland, on the role of Christians in
contemporary Europe. "We need a strategic alliance, and we need it here and
now. In 20, 30 or 40 years, it may simply be too late." He said the alliance
would bring together representatives of European Catholic bishops'
conferences and Orthodox churches and noted that the group would seek a
"common position on all major social and ethical issues," including the
family, sex and bioethics.

to you, at this time.