[CS-FSLUG] NI: Next version of Microsoft Office to support PDF?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:52:08 CDT 2005

On 10/3/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> This weekend on Slashdot.org, there was a posting of an MSDN blog -
> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2005/10/01/476067.aspx -
> which said that PDF support would be introduced in the next Office
> release.
>
> I'm suspecting that this is related to the earlier Massachusetts
> decision, and of course this is a capability that OpenOffice has
> already possessed for quite some time.  The question is, do you think
> that supporting PDF will be a sufficient move for MS Office to remain
> in that state?
>
> David

It very seriously could keep MS Office in Massachusetts.  Supporting
PDF would be the perfect way for Microsoft to snub their noses at the
ODF standard while maintaining its presence.  Massachusetts would have
to accept that, since it is one of the acceptable formats.  If, as
Fred points out in his post, it's really all about ODF, then there
would have to be a legal way for Mass to close the PDF loophole on
Microsoft.  However, there could be some issue that I am unaware of
that would cause Mass to consider Microsoft's actions unacceptable.  I
suppose they could harp on their anti-competitive practices.  Beyond
that, I really don't see much reason for Mass to kick Microsoft out if
they support PDF.  Again, something I'm unaware of could prove me
wrong.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist