[CS-FSLUG] dbus necessary

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Nov 14 07:06:14 CST 2005

My understanding of DBUS is that it provides a method of communication
between the kernel and user space. Programs like Beagle desktop search
use it to keep up-to-date on a variety of things. When new files come
onto the system it can automatically be notified and update it's search
if relevant.

It can also be used by Evolution to provide powerful responses to a new
message coming in.

That said, it's still a bit of a luxury so you should be okay turning it
off. I've never run it on a Gentoo system.

JSR/

Most