[CS-FSLUG] KJV Bible - Crown Copyright in UK

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 9 09:20:54 CST 2005

Oops - my previous post referred to NKJV instead of KJV.

At 08:38 AM 11/9/05, Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
>However, for any work one thing is to be copyrighted, and non-free is
>another. What the Debian developers should try to ascertain is the
>license terms set forth by the British Crown on the KJV text. I think
>these terms are pretty much lax and liberal, so I would not call the
>KJV text as non-free in Britain.

I would certainly call it non-free - there are only four publishers allowed
to print it...
         http://members.aol.com/pilgrimpub/kjvcopy.htm
To the present day the KJV is published in England under copyright. Private
conversation with Sam Moore, president of Thomas Nelson Publishers of
Nashville, Tennessee, the world's largest Bible publisher, confirmed that
there are currently four license holders with legal authority in England to
publish the KJV — the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, as well as
William Collins Sons & Co., Ltd, and Eyre & Spottiswoode.