[CS-FSLUG] How do I fix screen configuration from the command line?

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Thu Nov 3 15:18:49 CST 2005

I want especially to thank, Ed Hurst, and Ciaran Hamilton,
for your helpful suggestions. You've probably been wondering if I followed
them. I did get to it last evening, and though I made pages of notes I'll try
to summarize most of it. I did finally get into SuSE this morning, but can't
go online yet from there.

First of all, my printer is not working in Mandrake, so I had to copy out your
emailed suggestions by hand. Also some notes from an online command tutorial.

(I got a reply from Fred too, who is upset with me for installing Mandrake,
but he did have a helpful suggestion too, for getting at SaX2, to reset the
screen settings).

Using the SuSE 9.3 install CD #1, I noticed that when "Installation - Safe
Settings" is highlighted the boot options line shows:
rier=off ide=nodma ide wait=50; i8042.nomux pasmouse.proto=bare

So I think you're right, Ed, that nodma is is just when in safe settings.

To get to a prompt I chose Installation, and then choose, "boot installed
system". I got to a login and entered as root.
cd ./boot/grub
joe menu.lst

But I couldn't find that line your described, Ed. However, that may also be
because Mandrake wrote over those files in creating a bootloader.
By hand, I wrote out every line in that file, but I guess I don't have to give
it to you here. You'll see momentarily.

I got back to the prompt, and tried;  cd /etc/X11
then; joe Xorg.conf

I found that Device section and put that # mark before line Bus ID  "1:0:0"

Ciaran, you asked for that /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. -  Did you have any idea
how long it was? :) Since I had no means of copy/paste digitally, I did copy
out by hand, the sections that I thought MIGHT be useful to know.

I spotted several similar files with .old added to them when I tried the lst
command, but I only looked at the one. At the end, it suddenly came up with
the same error message I had quoted in my email yesterday, word for word. The
last lines were;
Fatal server error:
 no screens found.

So I went back to the login. I tried logging into SuSE as root and got the
same error messages as on Tues. but nothing about dma this time.

I tried Fred's suggestion of  "init 3" Nothing happened.
Then I  tried his "Sax2"  That did bring up that program, and it asked if I
wanted to keep the suggested setting or configure. Of course, I jumped at
configure!

I had quite a time with the Desktop Geometry setting. I set it many times
over, and when I went back to check, it had cleared itself. It was NOT
saving. Same as on Tues. morning when all this began.

I tried setting some of the other things for a change. I changed Fred's
resolution setting from 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600 (which works fine for me in
Mandrake). It took several tries but finally it held.

When I enabled the 3D capability I got a screen text sizer window, with fonts
too huge to see! I fussed with that quite a while, saved it, then disabled
it.

Finally, after several tests that showed nothing but a black screen, I saved,
and it held ( I peeked to make sure), so I went back to login and tried
"startx"

Oh bummer! I got the grey screen with the x in the middle, then an error
message; "Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation."

I looked for that file with joe, but it was titled "New File" at the top and
looked empty.

It was way past my shutdown time for the night, so I halted and went to bed.

This morning I tried again, going in through the Install CD way once more.
I tried the Repair option again, and picked Customized, and specifically asked
it to check the bootloader config. (It also chose to do the Swap areas, File
systems, and fstab entries). When done it rebooted.

There was a bunch of loading lines, then;
VFS: can't find ext3 file system dev/de0(3.1)
mount: error 22 mounting ext3 flags freeing unused kernel memory 176k free
Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init option to kernel.

Hmm? How do I do that? There was no prompt, and the keyboard was flashing and
frozen. Power switch wouldn't even work.

So I unplugged and re-plugged the box, and rebooted.

Got back in through the Install CD - Installation - boot installed system

Hallelujah!... I think... I reached login and got into my KDE desktop, but
with all the fonts HUGE! I mean 2 to 3 inches tall!

I finally used Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get to a commandline prompt. I tried Sax2
again. My monitor settings were all garbled and there were two of them, with
one empty. No settings. So I carefully re-did all my settings, and deleted
the empty one.

At 10:08 AM I finally got back into a desktop environment that I could see and
use. My fonts were extra large, but then I'd set those to about 15 and 16
since my first install on Sept. 3. I was pretty sure the 800 x 600 resolution
was doing this, so I scaled them down to about 12. Much better.

I should mention that I have vision problems, am saving up for new glasses,
and the resolution Fred had me set the screen at, had made the system fonts
so tiny I was constantly peering at things through my lower bifocals. This
new resolution makes me much happier!

But then I discovered that I have no network settings. I tried to do that in
Yast, but when I began with building a new bootloader that would merge my two
operating systems, (pleased to find that possible) it hung up at 50% of
saving the settings. Had to xkill that yast window twice and still it
couldn't get past that.

So - it seems my main hurdle to cross now is to get the online connection up
and running again, and if it would allow me to save a bootloader that takes
care of both systems, I'd be glad to have a dual boot computer again. I did
before with Win98 and Mandrake as I was first dabbling in linux last year. It
is wonderful to have a back door to use when you need to cry for help!

I do like SuSE and want to make it my home/main working environment. This is
my third day away from my usually busy and long work days and emails!

Do you think I should just try the upgrade installation again?

Folks, your helpful suggestions are MUCH, MUCH appreciated!

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth