[CS-FSLUG] NI: Lycoris, Mandriva Fumble Source Code Release

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Thu Nov 3 10:28:49 CST 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 10:41, Ritchie, Josiah S. wrote:
> My understanding of the GPL is that it can be distributed by request
> only so I don't have problems to it not being publicly accessible. I
> also don't have a problem with it being a, "when I have access, you'll
> have access" kind of scenario. It just seems really odd that he doesn't
> have access. Anyway, like you said, it's a wait and see how it pans out.
>

> I guess Cheek got himself into a sticky situation. I kind of feel sorry
> for him. The OSS community can be really strong in turning on its own
> sometimes.

I tried to keep this article on an even keel.  Part of the problem is there's
this perception that he has absconded with the code and run off to France to
escape notice.  That's the way some perceive it.  I don't necessarily think
it is that way, but you're right.  Cheek doesn't help himself much.

> So what do people want to do with this Iris code? Why has it even come
> up?

That I can't answer.  Bayne was not willing to discuss CannonBay at all, so
there is no point speculating on what might happen there.  But for him to be
so anti-GPL in our conversation, he sure is keen on seeing it enforced.  That
said, he should want it enforced.  So, who knows?  The issue was brought to
light on OSNews, and I just picked it up from there.