[CS-FSLUG] Membership database

Bob Brown bebrown at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:50:27 CDT 2005

> Perhaps it's my church background (a quite traditional environment -
> overly so in my opinion), but I've never really viewed technology as
> an essential, although I'm in favour of the adoption of some more
> high-tech equipment.

The demographic we are looking at are those parents who want to make
sure their kids are properly handled. When there are hundreds of kids
during weekend services you want to make sure that a kid got to where
they are supposed to be going and that they got back to their parents.
When we drop our daughter off at the nursery she has a tag with her
name attached to her and the items we bring with her. We then have a
card with photos of those people allowed to pick her up. We do this
even though we know all the people in that nursery area (my sister and
mom included).
The tracking provides an extra level of protection in the minds of new
visitors. We want them to know that their kids won't just be let
loose.

> One thought that comes to mind - I've heard some opposition to the
> idea of government tracking of people through a (inter)national ID
> system - based on some text in Revelations.  How does the idea fit in
> with a "church id" system (although this would presumably be limited
> to local congregations - at least at the beginning?

I suggested implanted rfid tags, but they cost too much ;)

Bob Brown