[CS-FSLUG] Macs replace university's Linux desktops

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun May 29 20:32:35 CDT 2005

On 5/27/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> There may be a lot of open source software underneath, but what the
> user sees is basically an entire GUI system developed with a lot of
> attention paid to detail and upholding user interface standards
> platform-wide.  That's the part (of the OS) that's not open source,
> and a very nice part it is indeed.
>
> I suppose that the other component of your argument also leads back to
> the discussion a few days ago of whether or not widespread
> profitability can be realized from open source software.
>
> David
>
> On 5/27/05, "國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)" <survivor at brisnet.org> wrote:
> > I don't know why they'd choose to pay for something that's built from
> > mostly open source freebies - Mac OSX doesn't come cheap too.

Just don't order your free software from the FSF - it definitely ain't cheap:

https://agia.fsf.org/order/

Note the "Deluxe" distros.  I think this page gives some ideas of how
people can make libre software profitable.  The FSF relies on funds
raised for its operations - though I don't know to what extent.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/