[CS-FSLUG] Macs replace university's Linux desktops

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun May 29 20:25:20 CDT 2005

On 5/27/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At least we're losing out to a *NIX system.  That's better than the
> > alternative.  To me, it's not that big a set-back.  It's a shame that
> > they chose proprietary over freedom.  Still, at least they chose
> > stability over instability.
>
> So, what makes a *NIX system inherently superior?
>
> David

Well, I noticed the article apparently points out the college's
preference for GNU/Linux over Windows, especially where maintaining
patches is concerned.  While I recognize that Msft has made advances
with respect to security over the last few months, I still remember
that response to a previous Msft report claiming that Windows was more
secure than GNU/Linux.  One leading proponent of GNU/Linux pointed to
Windows' reliance on unnecessary remote procedure calls, problems with
MS SQL server that make (made) it especially susceptible to Slammer
and similar worms - the response suggested the possibility that Msft
was considering integrating their SQL server code into their
filesystem.

Now that I understand it, the GNU/Linux filesystem, combined with
better separation of users sharing the same system, is far superior,
imo.  I still have to worry about whether the other users of the
Windows box I use at work have tinkered with the toolbar layout of MS
Office.  I can't stand coming in to discover my layout is affected by
changes made under their logins.  It's a minor thing, but those
irritate me more than big things.  I've also had the system shut down
on me while I was in the middle of working as part of the company's
software update process.  I think they've fixed that, as it hasn't
happened lately.  There's nothing that freaks me out like having 30
seconds to name a file I haven't even saved yet.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/