[CS-FSLUG] Road Kit

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat May 28 14:38:37 CDT 2005

Brian Derr wrote:

> I really wish I had one of these! A network loopback jack.
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6c20

I built one of those by purchasing a regular wall-jack and simply connecting
the wires to themselves.  Price ~$4

I then had a network wire go bad on me at one end.  I chopped the good end off
the cable and soldered parts of it to itself.  Loopback plug in 10 minutes.
Price?  Free (I had the dud wire already and was not going to replace it).

> Also, this would be really handy at times as well! A cross-over jack.
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/7470/

A friend built one of these for me with a short section of network cable (3
inches) a cable end, and a wall-jack.  It cost $4.  You can get better quality
on think-geek for roughly the same cost, if you do not pay shipping.  :)

I always travel with a small extension cord, a 16 foot network cable, an
electrical splitter (1 socket into 3), and a bunch of small wires.

What I think I am missing?  A USB crossover that allows you to plug a laptop
into a USB enabled computer and share files with it.  This works without
drivers on a number of OSes, and is another way to get information to a
computer.  While a USB stick can do this OK, you can actually hook a computer
up through this crossover and download MS updates if needed.

Oh.  I know it is dumb, but I also travel with a crossover parallel cable.  Dos
6.2 came with the software to do filesharing over the parallel port and it is
still around.  With just a little configuration you can copy files between very
old computers without needing to install software.  It is extremely slow,
however.  It is a last resort option!

    - Tim