[CS-FSLUG] Macs replace university's Linux desktops

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat May 28 11:27:08 CDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 12:28 AM, 國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)
wrote:

> No doubt that it's $199 for the family pack, but I suppose not many
> families own more than 1 computer.

     More than you'd guess. I believe two system families have become
the norm in the U.S., if I recall recent statistics.

> Think of all the expensive hardware
> that Apple sell and you'll see why they're willing to offer the family
> pack to U for "a steal".

     Apple's hardware really isn't expensive. If you compare a Mac
mini to a low end PC, it is just a bit more. If you compare a
PowerBook to a Pro-sumer or Business line laptop from the leading PC
manufacturers, again, you find it is about the same, perhaps even
cheaper. This is no small feat, for you are talking about a RISC
architecture (which, as you know is more expensive) loaded with
features that usually do not come standard. When NASA did
benchmarking of the PowerPC G5 vs. Intel chips, they did not even
bother to compare functions that could use the PowerPC's AltiVec
("Velocity Engine") extensions, because the 128-bit AltiVec
subprocessor just is so much faster it wasn't even worth trying to
make the x86 do the job.

     Apple is not going to compete with white box manufacturers, but
they are fairly competitive with high quality OEMs. Lots of people
like running GNU/Linux on Macs because Apple makes having a RISC
workstation affordable. You also have to consider that AppleCare is
generally ranked best in service and support by publications, so part
of the cost is going toward that too; not to mention that Apple does
much of its own R&D.

> The package might suit U, but not the masses.
> I believe that most Mac users purchase the single user license, which
> costs $129.  That's like almost double the price of an OEM Windows XP
> Home edition.  And as U have said, unlike Windows, U don't get an
> upgrade discount.

     Well, the masses don't buy OEM copies beyond the one included
with their computer. So, $129 for Tiger (less at Amazon) is roughly
comparable with $99 for XP Home edition. And, when you consider that
Tiger has all of the extras included in XP Pro edition, you are
really saving $70 for the full OS X over the upgrade XP Pro.

> I agree that the Mac OSX is a "different" operating system due to all
> the re-engineering work.  To each his own - I guess it all boils
> down to
> whether you'd wanna spend heaps of time  building your own OS or
> buy it
> off the shelf.  OS X is a great OS, but I prefer Linux over it  cos
> Linux is free.  Feel free to call me a cheapskate if U want to.  :-)

     I like the freeness of GNU/Linux too, although I especially
prefer the Freeness. My problem is I found I don't have "heaps of
time" as you put it. So, I switched to Macs, thereby permitting me to
continue to enjoy *nixy goodness without dedicating as much time to
the proposition. :-) Someday, I may return to GNU/Linux as my primary
system... although I may just run it on a PowerPC rather than an x86
(presently, I continue to run Linux on x86's).

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats