[CS-FSLUG] Sydney Morning Herald: Cuba to Dump Windows for Linux

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat May 21 22:14:01 CDT 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 2:21 am, David Aikema wrote:

[snip]

> > Considering the price of DVD +R DL media, I don't think so. Besides,
> > their staff has to eat like everyone else.
>
> Would you be required to use dual-layer media, which I think is
> significantly more expensive than plain old DVD+R (the DVD+R discs can
> be had around here for perhaps $0.40 each)?  There are also other
> options including doing a network based installation (although I
> suppose that probably isn't something that home users are too likely
> to do), or perhaps preloading the SuSE ISOs on a spare partition if
> they intend to keep a dual-boot system (Mandrake allowed you to use
> this method of installation at one time).

DL media is great......pricy but very nice.

> I agree that their staff has to eat like any others, but given that I
> can (most likely) find someone willing to give me a copy of the
> software, the business model stills seems to rely on somewhat of a
> donation model.

No.....more like those who appreciate all the effort that goes into a good
distro. realizes that they have a financial responsibility.

> > > As a whole SuSE may be profitable, but for a some percentage of their
> > > customers they may be loosing some money (a fairly small amount...
> > > unless there's a whole lot of security patches/updates).
> >
> > I'm sure there's some loss - there always is.
>
> I suppose that the average company in any industry probably has a
> subset of customers which it is currently loosing money on.

That is a supposition that doesn't always hold true for all companies.

Fred

--
             "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
 Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security