[CS-FSLUG] Sydney Morning Herald: Cuba to Dump Windows for Linux

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri May 20 21:20:07 CDT 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 9:35 pm, David Aikema wrote:
> On 5/20/05, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> > SUSE's manuals are actually pretty good. I buy the "Upgrade" release
> > which is cheaper and has the "main" manual.
>
> It could be that SuSE's manuals are fairly good.  What I recall from
> the days when I purchased boxed sets was that the manuals were little
> more than a 'click-this-option-to-take-you-to-the-next-installer-screen'
> sort of thing, but things may well be a whole lot better now.

'Big improvement over the years.

> That said, do the manuals justify the entire purchase price, as for
> what you pay for a distribution release would probably buy you a
> pretty good book or two on the subject in question?  The remaining
> ($(purchase price) - $(what I would pay for the manual)) still seems
> to me to be little more than a donation to the group in question.

Considering the price of DVD +R DL media, I don't think so. Besides, their
staff has to eat like everyone else.

> > > Well, if they downloaded a whole pile of security updates for the
> > > product off SuSE-operated servers, it could be that SuSE in fact lost
> > > money as a result of them.
> >
> > 'Last I looked, the figures don't show that.
>
> What I meant was on an individual customer basis... customer A gets a
> copy and then proceeds to use SuSE's bandwidth (which costs them
> money).

Yep......it does.

> As a whole SuSE may be profitable, but for a some percentage of their
> customers they may be loosing some money (a fairly small amount...
> unless there's a whole lot of security patches/updates).

I'm sure there's some loss - there always is.

Fred

--
             "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
 Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security