[CS-FSLUG] Road Kit

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Thu May 19 22:15:04 CDT 2005

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Now, for some of you experienced service technicians, tell me what you
> would carry for a house-call kit. I now have an assortment of CDs with
> distros and software. I have Tom's Rootboot disk (and need to learn how
> to use it). I have the usual Phillips screw-driver, a couple of dusting
> brushes, and a pair of surgical forcepts for hard-to-reach places.
>
> What else would you carry?

A couple cans of compressed air, a spare working IDE cable or two, a
small mirror (trust me), a magnetic pick up tool (I have dropped *lots*
of screws into cases and tight places on mb's), and a spare working ps2
powersupply.  Those things will take care of 90% of every service call
you get.  Now if you really want to get fancy, get a small multimeter, a
small assortment of different fans (Pentium,video,amd-duron, etc.) Carry
a spare PCI video card, usb mouse (with ps2 adapter), ps2 keyboard, add
in a nice pair of pliers (and power screwdriver) and start making backup
copies of the drivers the computers you run into on a typical basis use.

--
-Linc Fessenden