[CS-FSLUG] PitP Earns Recognition of FSF

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Wed May 18 23:24:53 CDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 07:47:31 +0800
Leon Brooks <leon at cyberknights.com.au> wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 02:32, Don Parris wrote:
> > Well, the GNU Project has linked to PitP 2.0 from their Philosophy page,
> > under Third Party Ideas
>
> > I'm sure that's a dubious distinction in the eyes of some, but I'm still
> > excited.  That kind of endorsement will go a long way.
>
> Given how rabidly Atheist RMS is, that's quite an achievement.
>
> Cheers; Leon
>
> --

Well, if there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that how we carry
ourselves can help or hurt us as we interact with others.  I learned in the
Marines that "boots" (the newbies) were to act like boots, not salts.  But
some guys managed to become salty boots, never really maturing to be a salt.

Likewise, when I moved into one of Charlotte's worst neighborhoods, where I
lived for 3 years ('til I married), I was the only white guy in several
square blocks.  Co-workers took bets on how long I would survive.  Well, I'm
still here, due to the Grace of God.  But I also didn't go around
threatening to kick everyone's backside, either.  I managed to connect with
people and made a bit of a difference.

Whether it's in the NOSI list or e-mailing RMS (whom I approached as a
student, rather than trying to teach him what I thought), I try to carry
myself with some degree of quiet dignity (though I can be pushy at times).
While I try not to boast in my faith, I do not hesitate to speak out of it.
That has gotten me into some trouble, but not much.  More often, it wins
respect - even from the rabid atheists. :)

I say all that to say that I have managed to get along well with Stallman.
Peter Salus says of him, "You may dislike some of his attitudes, but you
cannot avoid his ideas".  I agree.  He may be an atheist.  I may be a
Christian.  And by God's Grace, I have been able to build a bridge.  It was
Stallman himself who told me via e-mail last year that he thought Christians
should be in the forefront of the libre software movement.  Don't you see?

He may be a rabid atheist.  But he's also willing to work across the lines.
He's looking for us to join the battle for freedom.  I doubt he would
experience true conversion just because we join the battle.  Still, I wonder
if there is some possible connection?  How many of you know that he does
have a past connection with Christianity? I'll be exploring that soon
enough.  Just pray with me that I continue to have opportunities like I have
had.

Didn't mean to get so long-winded, but I hope it's meaningful. ;)

Blessings,
Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist