[CS-FSLUG] Priests Can Date but Not Marry

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue May 17 08:58:36 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 8:24 am, Ed Hurst wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, 'Mash wrote:
> > Just out of interest, does anyone know where the bible stands on
> > marriage and the priest hood or even church leadership?
> > Where did this rule come from ?
> >
> > I am glad that we now live under grace, I have such a heart to go into
> > leadership, teaching in the future but would definitely love a family too
> > !
>
> It was rather early in Church History the idea was picked up from
> outside religions that sex was inherently sinful. There are several
> pagan Eastern Cults that still see it that way. It was absorbed because
> of a misreading of Paul's suggestion that marriage might hinder mission
> work. He didn't say it was holy or unholy, only as a practical matter.

One of the major differences between the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodoxy
is that the latter Priests can and most often do marry. They know that it's
UNnatural for most men to remain celibate and that there's no commandment to
do so.

Fred

--
             "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
 Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security