[CS-FSLUG] Laptop thoughts

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:09:31 CDT 2005

On 5/16/05, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

> Yes, and no. ;) MAKE SURE that the Nic. ISN'T a Broadcom!!! Gateway isn't
> smart enough to use something compatible like the Intel chipset. Dell has
> also use junk like the Broadcom so CHECK the specs. of ANY laptop BEFORE you
> buy it!! There also are laptops make for linux for around the same price as
> these two makers. Go here for a look:
> http://eracks.com/products/Laptops?session=1360142017736631
>
> Fred

If the price is right, I wouldn't necessarily agree with staying away
from broadcom.  NDISWRAPPER works quite well (with Suse 9.1, NLD,
FC2-4T2, and Ubuntu at least)
Their proprietary nature is a pain, but can be worked around.  I'm
running a Compaq Presarion R3320US, and that was the only thing that
wasn't picked up "out of the box" with the newer distros - Suse 9.1
didn't take to well, and I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, and
Ubuntu didn't like my sound system (again, didn't waste time making it
work)  Novell and Fedora both came up smooth (except wireless), so I
am assuming 9.2/9.3 of Suse would do the same.

Brad