[CS-FSLUG] OT: Microsoft's Portable Media Centers: a strong monoculture headstart

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon May 9 13:44:24 CDT 2005

"Looking at the existing offerings, Microsoft is hands-down making all the
right moves, having what appears to me to be an almost insurmountable head
start (though readers are always quick to remind me that I should never count
Apple out).  So far, beyond portable DVD playing, no other company has
managed to penetrate the market and the Internet with the technologies to
mobilize digital video the way Microsoft has.   On the device side, through
Microsoft's Plays4Sure program, the Redmond-based company's re-use of the
DOS/Windows/PocketPC operating system licensing formula that creates
competition among hardware manufacturers is once again working, this time to
produce mobile video-capable offerings from Creative, iRiver, and Samsung not
to mention the portable Windows Media Player capabilities of PocketPC-driven
PDAs and telephones."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1350&tag=nl.e539

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."