[CS-FSLUG] New Sony DVD Burner - Permissions Question

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sat May 7 23:16:23 CDT 2005

Warren Sanders wrote:
> Don Parris wrote:
>
>> I got it installed, but can only burn as Root.  My entry in /etc/fstab
>> looks
>> the same as it did for the old CD burner (which I replaced with the DVD
>> burner).  I can't even manually detect the burner in K3B, although it is
>> auto-detected and works fine when I logged in as root.  I know I
>> shouldn't
>> login as root on a graphical console, but I occasionally do for testing
>> purposes - like this.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm not quite sure where to go from here.
>>
>> Don
>>

> I believe it has been fixed now but there were some 2.6 kernels that k3b
> had problems with.
>

>  Update on the kernel 2.6.9 issue
>
> I finally did some testing and gathered some information on the kernel
> 2.6.9 problem. Here is what I can tell you:
>
>    * Cdrecord won't run anymore when configured suid root. The reason
>      is that the new kernel forbids suid root programs to use the SCSI
>      subsystem (or something like that, correct me if I am wrong :)
>      So Cdrecord needs to be configured without suid root and the next
>      version of K3bSetup will do that.
>      Cdrdao does not have this problem. I think that's becasue it drops
>      the root privileges in an earlier stage but I am not sure about that.
>    * K3b is unable to properly handle external (USB, Firewire) devices
>      on the new kernel. Whenever the tray is open it will not be
>      recognized as a CD/DVD device and if K3b is trying to access it
>      while the tray is open it will get strange wrong answers from the
>      device.
>      I don't know how to solve this. Evenmore I think I cannot solve it
>      since the dvd+rw-tools have the exact same problem. Hopefully this
>      will be fixed in a future kernel version.
>
> So what does that mean for you? Well, you have to decide for yourselves.
> Since I have multiple external DVD devices I still stick to kernel 2.6.7
> since otherwise I would always have to make sure the tray is not open
> when starting K3b and trying to burn something. But if you don't have
> any external devices and configure cdrecord properly using kernel 2.6.9
> should be no problem.
>
> *Update:* This issue seems to be related to SCSI devices rather than
> just external.
>
> *Update II:* It seems as if the problems with SCSI devices have been
> fixed in kernel 2.6.10.

Try using kantonix (live cd based on knoppix) -- it has  kernel 2.6.11.
It [Kantonix] is highly spoken of and should show you how your new
burner will work with the latest kernel.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com