[CS-FSLUG] In awe

Bradly J. McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:39:44 CDT 2005

Don Parris wrote:

>On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:20:30 -0400
>"Bradly J. McConnell" <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Well, I finally got to see a Cray in person today.  It was quite neat -
>>just don't open the cabinet - apparantly, Cray doesn't believe in bus
>>cards - wiring everywhere.  There was a point to my trip though, I went
>>and got three SGI Indigo2's, and a Cabletron (now Enteresys) SmartSwitch
>>6000.  Nice toys - 24 100Mbit ports, 24 10Mbit ports, and 2 FDDI
>>interfaces, with redundant power supplies.  All for free - saved them
>>from going to the scrap metal bin.  Time to learn a little IRIX!!
>>
>>Brad

>I think I'm gonna be jealous! :)  The Cray would be interesting.  But the 24
>100Mbit ports sounds like a lot of fun to be had!
>
>Don

I resisted the urge to take the Smartswitch 9000 - actually, it was more
self preservation - the wife would kill me :)  Here are the specs from it:

Cabletron Smartswitch 9000 (MMAC Plus). Huge switch, lots of blades.
100mbps ethernet (15 ports), 10mbps ethernet (96+ ports), FDDI x 32 , 16
T1 wan ports, dual power supplies, 100baseFX fiber ports (12? 16? remember).

If no one else local claims it, I still may get it and put in storage.  I could run a neighborhood ISP!  It does sound like a plane taking off though.

When I get the switch up and running (I have to get the flash software from the guy), I may open it up for access (for those who want to "play").  The only problem is recently my ISP, Verizon, has been changing my IP a couple times a day (not sure why the leases are changing so much).  It wasn't this way for the first two or three years I had them - it might change once a month.  Maybe all the FIOS installs, and reprovisioning.  Makes it interesting to SSH back home.  I might look into Dyndns one of these days.

Brad