[CS-FSLUG] Piracy (Was: Any abandoned copies of Windows XP)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun May 1 23:45:31 CDT 2005

> Those who rent their software have limited control over their systems.
>  Theoretically, Microsoft (or any other vendor) could shut down your
> system for any arbitrary reason.

	Theoretically, perhaps. But not legally. You have a contract with
Microsoft or what have you, and they are obligated under it just as you
are. If you are in compliance with the terms, they can't just say "hey,
let's shut off Don's Windows XP today." And, anyway, unless your
software phones home regularly, they'd need to get access to your house
to shut you down.

>  Windows XP already locks up if it's
> not registered within 30 days.  Software ownership is a good thing.
> The owner controls the system.  Thus, I only run software I can
> actually own.

	This would be a misconception, IMO. No software is owned by a person
unless (1) it is released into the public domain, (2) you buy the
copyright or (3) you wrote it. You don't own my GPL licensed or BSD
licensed code any more than you own Windows, you simply get more
preferable terms for your license (your rental contract, to continue
with the terminology you were using). If you did own your GPL'ed
software, then the GPL would be useless, since the terms could not be
enforced against the code's owner.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats