[CS-FSLUG] Things that bug me about Linux...

Ciaran Hamilton ciaran at theblob.org
Mon Mar 7 10:34:53 CST 2005

Hi,

[snip]
> On Sun March 6 2005 11:01 pm, timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:
> > But I go to terminal and type umount /dev/hdb3 AS SU and it returns
"can't
> > unmount, drive is busy". BUSY. BUSY??? How is it busy??? I'm not using
> > it!!!

One of the most common reasons I've found is that I'm still in the
directory in the console. Consider this:

$ mount /mnt
$ cd /mnt
$ su
# cd /
# umount /mnt

That'll give me a "Drive busy" error because even though I've changed
out of the directory in su, I haven't done so outside of su. I'd need to
do something like this to unmount it:

# exit
$ cd /
$ su
# umount /mnt

...and then it'll work.

Another way to tell when it's being used is to do "lsof | grep /mnt" as
root. That'll tell you everything that's using that path.

 - Ciaran.