[CS-FSLUG] Wget getting sloooowwww

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Mar 25 10:33:28 CST 2005

If ping takes 10 seconds tp start pinging, you probably have a DNS issue.  Try
pinging something first my name, then by IP
ping www.google.com
ping 66.102.7.99

If the pinging by number responds faster, then the issue is probably a DNS one.

To determine if it is a speed thing, what time does a ping take to the two
locations take?  The ping command actually tracks the time it takes to get from
point A to B and back to A.  That might be 34ms, or something like that.  If
the time it takes the ping to traverse the Internet is drastically different,
then it might be something like the MTU issue.

The MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) is the size of packet that gets sent (it should
not affect a ping, as pings are usually small unless you are trying a ping of
death.)  If the router has a smaller MTU than the computer sends out, the
packet gets fragmented, and needs to be rebuilt on the other end which slows
the process down.  File transfers would try to use fairly large packet sizes,
though the large packets would originate from the sending computer.  So if you
are downloading something, then the MTU problem would be on the server you are
downloading from.  You can set your MTU with the ifconfig command:
    ifconfig eth0 mtu 1200

    - Tim Young