[CS-FSLUG] License Question

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Mar 24 14:19:19 CST 2005

On Thu March 24 2005 1:55 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> I designed a database back-end for managing security officers' logs.
> Call it WatchMan (Watch Manager).  I would like to use the back-end
> design at work, but know that MS Access is what will be used.
> Creating this database at work will give me an opportunity to solve a
> real-world problem in a real-world business setting (something noone
> seems keen on giving me the chance to do thus far).  My boss is sold
> on the idea, but the office is a serious Windows shop.

Companies like Securitas, which is the biggest world wide, is so backward it
almost defies description. They barely "know" MickySoft, let alone anything
else, and are paranoid about making any changes. Morse Security just plain
doesn't have much of a clue about anything.

> While I prefer the GPL, it would almost certainly preclude the use of
> Access for a front-end, as far as I know (the result would be a
> derivative work, no?).  Should I use the modified BSD license that is
> GPL-compatible?  I think that would allow me to use Access while
> keeping the back-end design free/open.  I look forward to your input.

This is a tough question. I have mixed emotions about it.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."