[CS-FSLUG] License Question

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:55:09 CST 2005

I designed a database back-end for managing security officers' logs.
Call it WatchMan (Watch Manager).  I would like to use the back-end
design at work, but know that MS Access is what will be used.
Creating this database at work will give me an opportunity to solve a
real-world problem in a real-world business setting (something noone
seems keen on giving me the chance to do thus far).  My boss is sold
on the idea, but the office is a serious Windows shop.

While I prefer the GPL, it would almost certainly preclude the use of
Access for a front-end, as far as I know (the result would be a
derivative work, no?).  Should I use the modified BSD license that is
GPL-compatible?  I think that would allow me to use Access while
keeping the back-end design free/open.  I look forward to your input.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/