[CS-FSLUG] "How Your Life - and Your Death - Can Really Count"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 18 20:58:32 CST 2005

A WORD WITH YOU
By Ron Hutchcraft
#4742 - "How Your Life - and Your Death - Can Really Count"
Philippians 1:20-21

Listen to the audio broadcast!
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?p=pnm&f=/rhm/sounds/awwy/awwy4742.rm

        It was one of those unexpected phone calls that leaves you stunned.
Our friend Curt, one of the most experienced private pilots we know, had
crashed two hours earlier. He was landing on a grass strip near his home, a
strip where he had landed hundreds of times. This time he somehow went into a
skid that propelled his plane right into a tree. The plane caught fire and
then it exploded. And our friend Curt was in heaven. As a beloved leader in
our community, his death rocked a lot of us. Because of a collapsed wheel, he
had been in a crash fourteen months earlier actually; one which should have
been fatal but from which he escaped with serious but survivable injuries. I
can't tell you how grateful I am that he didn't die then. Something very
important happened between those two crashes.

        I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about "How
Your Life - and Your Death - Can Really Count."

        It was my privilege to be asked by Curt's wife to talk about his faith
at the funeral and the powerful changes that had taken place since that first
crash. The word for that day from the Word of God is ours today. It's like a
scale on which you can weigh the significance of your life and what you're
living it for. Philippians 1:20-21: "I eagerly expect and hope that ...
Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to
live is Christ and to die is gain."

        We all need to honestly fill in the blank, "For to me to live is
_________." The true answer - not the spiritual answer - might be, "For to me
to live is my business, is sports, my home, or my success. To me to live is
my family, my friends, my education, my dream." Or maybe you should just put
the name of the most important person in your life in that blank to fill it
in honestly. Here's the problem: if you're living for any one of those
things, to die is to lose it all. It's only when for you "to live is Christ"
that to die will be gain.

        When our friend Curt went down the first time, I'm not sure what he
was living for. He was always a good man, but I think he would have said he
wasn't always God's man. But after that crash he said, "God spared me for a
reason." And he concluded that one major reason was for him to live for
Christ in such a way that the people he cared about, the people who looked to
him, would want his Jesus so they could be in heaven with him someday. He
began to live in such a way that "Christ would be exalted" by his life. And
because he did, Christ was really exalted by his death.

        In the past months, Curt had boldly told so many people in his large
circle of influence about the Christ who died for him and for them. So it was
only logical that his funeral would do the same thing - to give those he had
touched the opportunity he had had - a wakeup call from a plane crash that
would bring them into vital relationship with Jesus Christ. But if you
haven't lived to show Christ to people, your death really can't lift Him up.
The death of a man or a woman who has really lived passionately for Christ
can have such incredible meaning - helping others be in heaven with you. But
a life not lived for Christ just can't have that kind of meaning. Death
destroys every reason for living but one - living for Jesus and what matters
to Him.

        If Curt were here today, I believe he would tell you, "Don't wait to
surrender your life and your influence to Jesus Christ. You never know how
many days you have left to make your life count for something that will last
forever." And, for sure, Jesus would tell you that. In fact, I believe He is
- right now. "Someday" isn't soon enough to give everything you've got to
Jesus. It needs to be this day.

Discuss today's "A Word With You," post your comments, or encourage others in
our discussion forum!
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/rhm/awwy

How can I help support the work of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries?
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/support/

To find out how you can begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
please visit YOURS FOR LIFE: HOW TO HAVE LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
at:
http://www.yoursforlife.net
Or, call 1-888-NEED HIM.

"A Word With You" by Ron Hutchcraft is a daily radio challenge, with
slice-of-life illustrations and insights - providing practical help on the
issues that matter most. If your local Christian radio station does not air
"A Word With You," please let them know how much you value this program. Over
six years of transcripts are available online, at
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/awwy/

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries is a member of the Gospel Communications Network -
http://www.gospelcom.net

"A Word With You" is a production of:

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/
Email: RHM at hutchcraft.com
Phone: 1-877-741-1200

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via
email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it
will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce
"A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet
websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Reprinted with permission. "A Word With
You" is a radio outreach of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."