[CS-FSLUG] OT: Could IBM's Millipede mean the end of dedicated PDAs and MP3 players for good?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 18 14:28:49 CST 2005

" Could IBM's Millipede mean the end of dedicated PDAs, MP3 players?
 The only reason my cell phone doesn't function as my full-time PDA, MP3
player and digital camera is that it doesn't have sufficient memory to host
everything I'd want to stick on it. Those periodic, order-of-magnitude leaps
in capacity have never been the sort of breakthrough that could turn an SD-
or CF-sporting cell phone into a mean lean storage machine. Perhaps IBM's
Millipede will change that. Big Blue's new MEMS-based storage prototype can
fit 1 terabit of data per square inch -- that's 25 DVDs on an area the size
of a postage stamp. According to IBM, this technology won't reach the market
for at least two years. And once it does...well, I have a few predictions
about that."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1143&tag=nl.e539

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."