[CS-FSLUG] Linus Switches to Mac Platform

Timothy Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 10 17:21:26 CST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 3:40 AM, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Thursday 10 March 2005 13:19, Timothy Butler wrote:
>> Maybe if Linus is using it, more work will be put into making PPC
>> Linux a real option -- right now, it makes little sense to use it
>> over Mac OS X, since you get that free with the system and it
>> does a lot more.
>
> No, you don't. It's part of the price, but it's not free. USD$150?
> Something like that.

	Well, it's "essentially free," since you cannot get a Mac cheaper if
you buy it without OS X. The price is built into the hardware. Upgrades
are $129 USD, although presently Macs come with OS X 10.3 and iLife
'05, which at a retail price is $210 worth of software... given that
the Mac mini's price tag (for example) is only $289 more than that,
it's clear that Apple is essentially doing an "OEM discount" on the
bundled stuff.

	Of course, the G5 is so much cheaper than any other 64-bit RISC
workstation that OS X really does almost become free. Where else can
you get such a workstation for $1499 even without a UNIX-powered OS?
But that goes back to the issue at hand. If you try TerraSoft YDL and
then try Mac OS X 10.3, you'll almost certainly stick with the latter.
It supports the wi-fi, bluetooth, and so on that YDL does not, and it
does a lot more software wise.

	I started out on my G5 with YDL, and gave in and started using OS X,
simply because it worked on stuff YDL *could not* do. I bought my G5
from TerraSoft, so I received both YDL and Mac OS X for the sticker
price of the system...

	If someone would start creating speciality distros focused on
particular fields or some such, perhaps LinuxPPC would work though.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |