[CS-FSLUG] local lan file sharing

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 9 10:51:20 CST 2005

I finally got back to this project today.  Thanks to all who responded.

Josiah:  I have already have a similar structure for shares (personal,
group, public), but those shares are currently on an NT4 server, which I
eventually want to move away from.  That's why this share is going on the
OpenBSD box.  The problem is how best to connect to this repository from a
Linux workstation.  All scans are "automatically" dumped into the same
repository (samba share on BSD box).

David:  I'll look closer at autofs if I decide to link from Linux to the
samba shares.

Andrew:  I like this apache/php idea of yours, but twisted it a little.  I
figured simple ftp access would provide the necessary interface without
having to write a PHP script.  I just placed a "Link to URL" icon on
desktop with an ftp url.  This icon opens Konqueror with list of scanned
images, with tree of home directory on left side.  This allows user to
double-click for viewing and drag/drop to their home directory.  Very
simple setup.  Perfect!  Almost.

Works just fine for viewing, but there is a permission problem preventing
Linux users from deleting files.  If they scan a sensitive document, they
want to move it from repository quickly.  The files are deposited into
repository via samba running as "nobody".  Sample file:
-rwxr--r--  1 nobody  clgw    46967 Mar  9 10:53 SCAN0045_000.pdf

The ftp link logs in with user that is in group "clgw".  Can I have samba
create the files with g+w or o+w automatically?

Frank