[CS-FSLUG] Re: Firefox sound problem...It was aRts!

Alvin Smith alvin at tux.org
Tue Mar 8 09:01:11 CST 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 04:26 am, David M wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 5:30 am, timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:
> > Thanks Alvin...That did it! now if I can only remember why or when I
> > turned on Arts!
>
> I was following this thread because I'm having the same problem. I tried
> switching to the OSS sound system, but that didn't help my problem with
> firefox.

It does not seem to be an alsa versus oss issue, but aRts (KDE) versus esd
(Gnome).  Although mine is working.  Meaning Firefox.  But I have a similar
issue with sound.  I found that when aRts is running, a console program
called "saytime" will not work.  If I disable system sounds in KDE it does
work...  I am running Debian Sid, so I hope it is resolved soon.  Someone
said that their sound issue was resolved by creating a new user.  Hard to
imagine that that would work here unless an update was done right after the
initial installation...

--
peace,
Alvin Smith