[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Romans 1

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Mar 8 05:58:28 CST 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Timothy Butler wrote:

> 1.) Why do you suppose Paul was so anxious to go see a church that was
> already established by someone else?

Paul knew his calling was to establish the Gospel among the Gentile
nations. At that time, Rome was officially opposed to that Gospel,
though not yet actively persecuting it. What better way, then, to
insure it's life and health on earth than to build up the Gospel
message in Rome itself?

Further, with all the trouble Paul had already faced with false
teachings, it was critical that such a congregation in the shadow of
the imperial throne be free from any serious problems. The structure of
his letter is very much a primer for the faith, but from a distinctly
Western viewpoint. We can be sure Paul intellectually understood the
essential difference between East and West.

> 2.) How do you suppose the Romans received his bold beginning to the letter?

By this time he was comfortable in the role of Apostle to the Gentiles.
Though the Roman congregation was surely planted by Messianic Jews, it
was essentially a Gentile body. On a personal level, Paul acted as he
taught -- if you are certain you walk in the power of God, then assume
that role and don't fret opposition. It may well come, and you should
expect it. Still, in your calling, boldly walk in what you know. No one
criticized Apollos for boldly proclaiming the message of John the
Baptist, but took the time to reveal the rest of the story. Paul had no
real doubts about his mission, though I'm sure he had plenty of
self-doubt. I remain convinced his "thorn in the flesh" was a
self-destructive tendency based on chronic depression.

> 3.) There is some language in verses 18-32 that appears to deal with the
> issue of homosexuality. In fact, this is one of the proof texts used to point
> out the sinfulness of homosexuality. But ignoring that for a moment, and
> looking at the bigger picture, what do you suppose was the reason for Paul to
> start with a virtual catalog of sins?

Like the others who commented already, knowing that we are sinners in
need of salvation is the starting point, both in our personal journey
and in the logic of things.

Ed Hurst