[CS-FSLUG] Suse Network setup

K. Luckenbaugh kluck at gdrs.com
Tue Mar 8 05:58:20 CST 2005

timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Just wondering if any one is aware of a step-by-step doc or webpage
> for setting up two Suse systems to communicate on a network. Oddly
> enough, I've gotten Linux to talk to a windows box via Samba, but
> can't seem to get two linux boxes to talk.
> I've recently built a new system and want to move my old files over
> without having to take the HD out. Besides, it'd just be nice to learn
> something!
> The  quirk in my net is:
> 1. Cable comes in from the wall from isp which goes to cable modem.
> 2. Linksys switch/firewall hooked up to cable modem.
> 3. One machine hooked up to switch.
> 4. Another wire goes from switch to another room, to a  Linksys 4
> port hub. The old PC is connected to this.
> So, it's not just everything off the same switch.
> Again, if there's a page I can go to, let me know. The suse manual
> just basically buries you with stuff about all the modules and leaves
> you there.
> Thanks,
> TIm
>
> 10 out of 10 people die.
> http://www.needgod.com

Tim,

Just a hunch, but it sounds like you might have crossed, uncrossed and
now you need to hook a crosser cable from your old box to your hub (or
use a switch insteead of a hub. Hubs aren't very smart, you know.)
You could eliminate the mess to troubleshoot. Hook a */crosser/* cable
from one linux box to the other, make sure you are on the same subnet
(192.168.10.x) on both machine and ping from one to the other. If that
works, put a /*HUB */between the two boxes and try it again. Are you
still good?? Do you have any lights on your hubs?? What are your ip
addresses and subnet masks? If you can mail me back, I'll walk you thru it.

Kelly