[CS-FSLUG] Things that bug me about Linux...

timbrown at ichristian.com timbrown at ichristian.com
Sun Mar 6 22:01:38 CST 2005

Here's  a question I've been meaning to ask for some time...

Say I put a second drive in the computer to move data over. Let's assume
it's  /dev/hdb3 for a name.

I configure it through Yast partitioner, then create an icon on my desktop.
It works fine. THEN when I'm done with it, I try to unmount it..."Only root
can unmount /dev/hdb3" Ok, I understand that.

But I go to terminal and type umount /dev/hdb3 AS SU and it returns "can't
unmount, drive is busy". BUSY. BUSY??? How is it busy??? I'm not using it!!!

So, I just power down, unplug the thing, boot up, get the inevitable console
prompt, run yast, then pico fstab to remove the ref to the drive.

Then I'm ok.

What gives?

Thanks,

TIm