[CS-FSLUG] Ready or not, Windows XP update is coming

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:28:12 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:34:37 -0500, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513-5590501.html?tag=nl.e539#talkback
>
> --
> The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
> in their warehouse..."

It appears I got out of the MickeySoft world just in the nick of time!
 As I wrestle with the moral question of who controls my computer, and
have just been reading your other post from Stallman's site (and
another site via that), this article really brings home Stallman's
message.  This article sort of highlights the problems of commercial
proprietary licenses in general - namely that the developer controls
me, in spite of the supposed balance between his rights and mine.

Under US Copyright law, the developer's rights are actually limited,
balanced against the public good.  Mickeysoft is obviously interested
in its own rights - not mine.  Why should they determine whether I
want their update?  That, technically, should be my right.  It's my
computer.  To say that I have no right to control what happens on my
computer is absolutely ridiculous.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist