[CS-FSLUG] Re: Linux on Laptops

K. Luckenbaugh kluck at gdrs.com
Tue Mar 1 06:10:30 CST 2005

Wade A Smith wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:40:31 -0800 (PST) Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
>writes:
>

>>Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:29:07 -0500
>>From: "Bradly J. McConnell" <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com>
>>Subject: [CS-FSLUG] Linux on Laptops was re: Christiansource
>>
>>Linux support for laptops is getting better.  The only things that
>>don't
>>work from a standard install of FC3 on this laptop is wireless
>>(broadcom
>>chipset - easily fixed with ndiswrapper), 3D video support (ATI 9100
>>IGP)
>>and the modem (haven't bothered researching).  The only way it will
>>get
>>better is guinea pigs like the original poster and myself.
>>
>>Brad
>>

>I did install SuSE 9.2, but I could barely do anything.   I could
>[eventually]
>access the internet from our home LAN, but it couldnt touch the internal
>nor external modems, so no email while "on the road".
>
>Under Win98 I could get SuSE to access my files and move stuff into
>the windoze environment.  XP is a critter of a different color. <puke>
>
>As far as being a guinea rat, I dont have the time nor inclination to
>spend months trying to get the video up to speed, the sound, the
>USB ports (no serial port available), the ... and so on all without any
>help from the HP "buy a documentation package now shut up and go
>away because we've spent too much time on you already" folks.
>
>Note to self: only standards-compliant Toshiba and ChiCom IBM laptops in
>the future.
>
>wade

I do linux on laptops all the time. Chech the following:

*SuSE 9.2 will be easy!*

*External*

External serial modems that will work ( I use them ):

Zoom 3048c (conexant), 3049c (conexant). $50.00 - $70.00

1. If you don't have a DB9 connector (9 pin serial) on your laptop, go
to  RadioShack  and get yourself a "serial to usb"  cable ($36.95) .
This setup will work without any extra drivers because the modem
contains the hardware.

2. Make sure you have "wvdial" in linux. From a console prompt, type
"which wvdial" (without the quotes). If you have it, it will say
/usr/bin/wvdial.

3.  From a  console (become root) :   wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf
You should be seeing spewage about your modem and modem lights. Edit
/etc/wvdial for phone#, user, etc.

4. From same console:    wvdial       (It should be dialing out now )

*
Internal

*1. Google for  "ScanModem", download and install.

2. Run ./scanmodem and check your spewage about your pci modem. Probobly
a winmodem with a Lucent or Conexant chip. Write it all down, go to
Linuxant.com and get your driver.

3. Email me _kluck at gdrs.com_ and we walk you thru the rest.

*
K. Luckenbaugh