[CS-FSLUG] Consulting advice

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:02:03 CDT 2005

I know know much about US law, but if I were you I would look into the
California Labour code. There was a case quite a while ago where an
Apple employee wrote a finder plugin (or program, I don't know Mac OS
:-p) and made it available as shareware. When Apple heard about it
they legally challenged him for ownership of the program and got it
because with the California labour code everything he wrote belonged
to Apple or something like that, at least that was one of the reasons.

Anyway this is something I heard on Slashdot so I'd recommend double
checking. I can't really offer it as fact because I don't know
anything about US law, but it is a good idea to look into the laws
that affect you as a software developer, no matter where you live.

Anyway the most important thing to remember is that you need to be
affordable enough to get work, but not so affordable that you don't
make enough money, once you have a reputation you can probably
increase your rates a little. You may also be interested in checking
out sites like http://www.rentacoder.com/