[CS-FSLUG] Motherboard recomedations

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Thu Jun 30 11:22:19 CDT 2005

Frank Bax wrote:
> At 09:41 AM 6/30/05, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of getting a new computer (amd processor) and am confused
>> by all the different makes of motherboards.
>> I don't really like all the *onboard* stuff which most systems come
>> with nowadays.
>> The names that are popular here in Israel are Foxconn, Asus, Gigabyte,
>> Albatron and Abit.
>

> I've not been fond of integrated systems either, but it has been
> suggested to me that the problems I experienced in the past are no
> longer an issue with newer boards; but it will be hard to convince me if
> I don't buy one.  I don't have a problem with integrated sound and
> network.  I do see a problem with integrated video, especially if ram is
> "shared".  I don't need to use modems anymore, but I probably won't want
> that integrated if I needed one (I'd look for a controller modem, which
> integrated is not likely to be).
>
>> Any suggestions or cotchas?
>

> If you go integrated, I would still avoid boards that do not have
> separate video ram.  If the board uses "shared ram", so that a portion
> of main ram is given to video subsystem, then a program that uses both
> video and cpu at the same time will suffer seriously.  If RAM reported
> by the OS is less than RAM installed (by at least 8M); then ram is being
> "shared".
>
> I've heard that motherboard brands starting with "A" are good ones;
> although I've only used ASUS.  I recently switched suppliers and the new
> guy sells Albatron and not Asus, but I haven't tried Albatron yet.
>
> Frank

Since motherboards are quite expensive in Indonesia, I usually have to
buy cheaper ones which means ECS, Matsonic, or PC-Chips. Most of them
are all-in-one motherboards. As long as you don't overclock, upgrade by
adding more peripherals, or thinking of playing Doom 3 at uber
resolutions, I find that they make good work computers. I agree that if
they have built in video, at least buy one that has an option of
external Video (usually have AGP or PCI-Express slot also).

Now, believe it or not, Foxconn is a very big OEM. Some brand name
motherboards like Asus and Abit are actually manufactured by Foxconn. I
think that Asus is overpriced for its quality (at least in Indonesia).
And they don't make all-in-one motherboards, that duty goes into Asus'
hidden subsidiary named Asrock. Abit makes good stable motherboard, but
I heard they are having problems lately. Gigabyte is quite stable, used
to be maker of no frill motherboard, now they are going for enthusiasts
with dual everything. Albatron I have heard, but never used.

Anyway, I have good luck with Epox, Shuttle, and Gigabyte. ECS is ok if
you don't push the motherboard to the limit. Asus is iffy since their
price is quite high. Abit is good and stable, but is going down in
quality. The rest, I haven't tried.

Don't forget Intel if you are making an Intel based system. Their
performance may not be great, but they are very very stable.

Dommy

---